Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Jet Boy: An Autobiography

Taking a gander at Jason and Kerri's posts, I feel like I should have a little introduction as well. Nothing elaborate, but something to help readers who care know who I am.


To be perfectly frank, I'm awesome. This may sound biased, but it's the sad truth. I am cursed with being really awesome. Some may even call me fantastic, but I settle for awesome.


To go into detail, I'm a Creative Writing major here at WSU. I'm a junior. I've gone to about fifty-bazillion schools. Now that I'm here, I work not only as a tutor and as a student, but I'm the Features Editor of the school's newspaper, The Guardian. It's not a job I love or a path I really want to follow once I graduate, but it's not bad by any means. I started at WSU as a Computer Science major because I was pretty handy with technology and Java and I done built my own computer. I wanted to make video games for a living. Now I plan on selling short stories written on the back of post cards on some rainy corner, not far from my cardboard box of a home. I used to write for several websites, picking up small projects here and there or writing a video game-related article once in a while. I had a regular gig over the summer writing for a video game website, but I couldn't do that and tackle everything at school at once. Also, in my past I worked for an ice company where I drove what was basically a giant freezer with an engine in front of it that handled about as well as a giant freezer with an engine in front of it. I've got nowhere to go but up.


The most important part of all that is my major, for obvious reasons. If I was from a different discipline, I'd have a different approach at writing. But I take the low road and make up stories instead of researching facts. I like it. So, like Jason, I'm not really worried about the formality of my posts. As long as I convey some sort of message to the reader, I'll sleep easy. This post is an exception, but it should act as a lens through which to view my posts, to help distinguish them from my peers' posts.


I write for fun, which is pretty much the main reason I'm here at all. I like writing. I love writing. I had a side project dedicated to writing. I write stories for class and I write in notebooks and I write poems for people I really care about on days that are important to them. I write on scraps of paper. I write in the air with my finger, spelling out words that no one will ever read. And I think that is super cool.


I'm not even going to try to tie this to a writing lesson or concept. This is only here for reference, not to educate. But I've got all sorts of cool things to talk about in the future, and I expect that the other tutors do too. I foresee some overlapping of topics, which is also cool. Anyway.

No comments: